This delicious variation of Gnocchi is totally vegan and uses the ancient grain, Einkorn, as the flour, making for a healthy alternative to the original. Vegan Einkorn Gnocchi is my new favorite pasta alternative!
If you are not familiar with Gnocchi, they are little potato dumplings. They are a wonderful addition to soups as well as a stand alone dish with some veggies and olive oil!
The first time I had Gnocchi was at Olive Garden. I had the Chicken Gnocchi soup and knew I had to learn how to make these little gems!
Mind you, my husband and I are not Vegan, however, I love to add some plant based options into our diet. Having said that, we always keep Nutrional Yeast on hand as a cheese alternative. We eat dairy, but, sometimes you want a lighter option.
These Gnocchi are also made with Einkorn flour. Einkorn is an ancient grain that is easier to digest than modern wheat varieties. It also imparts a nutty flavor to the Gnocchi.
I use freshly ground Einkorn, but, you can purchase it on Amazon if you don’t have a grain mill.
A substitute for the egg is Flax! Simply take 1 tbsp ground flax and add 2 tbsp water. Mix well and let sit for at least 5 minutes so it can thicken up.
Making Gnocchi is easier than you might think! You will need:
- 3 medium Potatoes (peeled)
- 1 Flax Egg
- 1/4 cup Nutritional Yeast
- 3/4 cup Einkorn Flour
- 1 1/2 tsp Salt
First, peel the potatoes and cut into uniform cubes. Add to salted boiling water and cook until tender.
After the Potatoes are cooked through, drain them and add them to a mixing bowl.
Take a fork or potato masher to mash the potatoes.
Add in the flax egg, flour, nutritional yeast, and salt. Mix and shape into a ball of dough.
Divide the dough into 4 equal parts and roll each portion out into a log.
Cut the log into small pieces of dough.
Optionally, you can roll the dough pieces on a gnocchi board. It gives the gnocchi ridges that will hold on to sauce or soup.
Cook the gnocchi in boiling salted water until the gnocchi rise to the top of the water. Use a straining spoon to remove them. Note: Only boil a handful at a time for even cooking.
Once the gnocchi are done, simply add to your soup, or you can make a sauce and veggies to serve them with. They are delicious on their own, but, pair so well with sauces.
See you soon!
Vegan Einkorn Gnocchi
- 1 Gnocchi board optional
- 1 mixing bowl
- 1 medium pot
- 3 medium potatoes peeled and cubed
- 1 flax egg
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 3/4 cup einkorn flour
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- Peel and cut the potatoes into equal cubes.
- Cook the potatoes in salted boiling water until cooked through.
- Drain and put potatoes in a mixing bowl.
- Mash the potatoes with a fork or potato masher.
- Make flax egg by adding 1 tbsp ground flax and 2 tbsp water to a small bowl. Mix it well and let sit for 5 minutes until thick.
- Add to mashed potatoes along with the nutritional yeast, flour, and salt.
- Mix until it becomes a ball of dough.
- Cut the ball of dough into 4 equal portions.
- Roll each portion into a long log.
- Cut the log into small pieces of dough.
- Optionally, you can roll the pieces on a gnocchi board to give them ridges so they will hold sauce or soup.
- Cook the gnocchi in salted boiling water in small batches. When the gnocchi rise to the top of the water, they are done.
- Serve with soup or make a sauce with veggies to serve them with.