With Christmas coming up soon, I have been trying to come up with some unique and different recipes. I always make dinner rolls for special meals, so, this year I decided to make them a bit different. These sourdough pretzel dinner rolls are so delicious and will wow your friends and family!
I make these rolls with freshly milled hard white wheat making them light and airy. You can use store bought flour if you wish.
For as long as I can remember I’ve loved soft pretzels. I used to buy them at the mall and dip them in honey mustard. For some reason as an adult, I have only made pretzels a handful of times. I decided it was time to change that and make these rolls. It’s the best of both worlds, pretzels and dinner rolls in one! Yes, please!
The thing I love about pretzels is the outer salty crust and chewy interior. What I love about dinner rolls is the soft, fluffy texture with that buttery flavor.
This recipe takes the best of both and makes a roll to be very proud of and serve with your Christmas dinner!
For this recipe you will need:
- Sourdough starter
- Olive oil
- Freshly milled hard white wheat flour
The morning of the day you want to make these, or the night before, combine the water, sourdough starter, oil, honey, salt, and enough flour to make a somewhat tighter dough than a bread dough. You don’t want the dough to be slack. Mix in enough flour to make a ball of dough that is not sticky. Knead until smooth and elastic about 10 minutes.
You will need between 3 1/2 to 4 cups of flour.
Place dough in a lightly greased bowl and cover with plastic wrap or a bowl cover. Allow to ferment overnight or for 4-6 hours in a warmer place.
Divide the dough into 12 equal parts. Shape into small dough balls. Place on a parchment lined baking sheet. Cover with plastic wrap or a damp tea towel. Allow to rise for 1-2 hours.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
In a saucepan, bring 4 cups of water to a boil. Add 1/4 cup of baking soda.
Drop the rolls into the boiling water for 2 minutes on each side.
Place back on the baking sheet. Sprinkle tops with coarse sea salt.
Bake for 15-18 minutes.
Once out of the oven, drizzle with melted butter.
Sourdough Pretzel Dinner Rolls
- 1 Large mixing bowl
- 1 Baking Sheet
- 1 Sauce pan
- 1 cup lukewarm water
- 1/2 cup sourdough starter
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tbsp honey optional
- 2 tsp salt
- 3 1/2-4 cups freshly milled flour I used hard white wheat
- 4 cups water
- 1/4 cup baking soda
- In the bowl of a stand mixer or in a large mixing bowl, add the water, oil, starter, honey, salt, and 3 cups of the flour and mix well.
- Continue adding enough flour to get a stiff dough. Not dry, but, no slack.
- Knead for 10-12 minutes or until soft and smooth.
- Add to a lightly greased bowl and cover with plastic wrap.
- Allow to rise for 4-8 hours.
- Turn the dough onto a worksurface and divide into 12 equal parts.
- Shape the dough into smooth dough balls and place on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Cover with plastic wrap or a damp tea towel and allow to rise for 1-2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Bring 4 cups of water to a boil and add 1/4 cup baking soda.
- Drop each roll in and cook for 2 minutes on each side.
- Place back on the baking sheet.
- Sprinkle with coarse sea salt.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes.
- Drizzle with melted butter when they come out of the oven.