This Sourdough Waffle Pizza will wow your family and friends! Easy and quick to make, this recipe will become a regular for your busy summer routine!
Here in our home, we love pizza. We have learned to be creative with our toppings over the years https://therosehomestead.com/salad-pizza/. With that being said, the other day, I asked my husband what he thought about a sourdough waffle pizza, and, he said, “YES!”. I got thinking about how the sauce would fill the holes in the waffle and what toppings I could use.
I love making sourdough pancakes https://therosehomestead.com/sourdough-pancakes/ and thought, why not make these into waffles?
If you are new to sourdough, it’s a natural leavening agent made from mixing flour and water and allowing it to ferment and grow good bacteria and yeast. This mixture is added to baked goods to cause them to rise much like conventional yeast.
Sourdough has many benefits. For people who have gluten sensitivity, using the sourdough process for your bread products can make them easier to digest. **THIS IS NOT FOR GLUTEN INTOLERATANT PEOPLE**
Sourdough bread products have more flavor than conventional yeasted products. They also last longer on the counter due to be fermented.
When making these waffles for pizza, you need to get them more crispy so they will hold up well when adding toppings.
As far as toppings, anything goes! We love a basic tomato based sauce, onions, peppers, and cheese. But, you can use mushrooms, meat, greens, and other garden goodies. My toppings usually reflect the season. Whatever I get from the garden goes on the pizza!
To make these waffle pizzas you will need:
- Sourdough Starter (doesn’t have to be active, can be discard)
- Baking soda
- Herbs (optional, but, give the waffle pizza so much flavor)
- Olive oil for drizzling
- Pizza toppings: Sauce, veggies, cheese, etc.
For the waffles:
Add 1 cup of starter to a medium mixing bowl. Add egg, salt, herbs, and baking soda. Preheat your waffle maker and turn browning knob to max.
Make the waffles per your waffle maker instructions.
Add 1/4-1/2 cup of batter and close the lid. Allow to cook until golden brown and crispy.
**The amount of batter used will be based upon the size of your particular waffle maker**
This recipe makes 3-4 waffles based on how big your waffle maker is.
Preheat your oven to the broiler setting.
Place waffles on the baking sheet under the broiler for a couple minutes until very crispy.
Put your toppings on the waffles and place them on a parchment lined baking sheet.
Bake until cheese is melted and turning golden brown.
Allow to cool for a few minutes before eating.
See you soon!
Sourdough Waffle Pizza
- 1 Waffle Maker
- 1 cup Sourdough Starter can use discard
- 1 large egg
- 1 tbsp Fresh Herbs If using dried herbs use 1-1 1/2 tsp
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 cup Pizza Sauce
- Various Veggies of your choice
- 1 cup Shredded Cheese of choice
- In a mixing bowl, combine starter, baking soda, egg, salt, and herbs. Mix well.
- Preheat waffle maker. Simultaneously preheat oven on the broil function.
- Add 1/3-1/2 cup of waffle batter to the waffle maker and cook using maker directions.
- While waffles are cooking, prepare pizza toppings of your choice.
- Once waffles are done, place them under the broiler for a couple of minutes until very crispy.
- Add toppings. Place back under the broiler to melt cheese until turning golden brown.
- Allow to cool for a few minutes before eating.