If you are anything like me, you sometimes forget to get your bread on the night before to ferment, but, you need a loaf of bread the same day. I have figured the perfect recipe for same day sourdough sandwich bread and I’m excited to share it with you! This bread is mixed up early in the morning, and left to rise all day, and, then be baked off in the late afternoon or evening.
There are only a couple of adjustments you need to make to have a same day sourdough bread. This can make it so convenient if you didn’t have time to put the dough together the night before, or, you’re just the type of person that likes to have your bread baking in one day alone.
I find myself forgetting my sourdough more and more recently because of other things taking my attention until bed time. When this has happened in the past, I would just make a hybrid sourdough with a little instant yeast.
I really wanted a same day loaf that was purely sourdough. And, after some tweaking, I have finally came up with the perfect loaf!
2 changes I made to this recipe to allow for it to be same day are:
- Use lukewarm water. This “jumpstarts” the starter and the fermentation process.
- Adding more sourdough starter than usual. To shorten the rising time, I am adding double the usual amount of starter.
I use freshly ground whole wheat, but, you can certainly use store bought whole wheat or unbleached all purpose flour.
If using whole wheat, the end dough should be slack and moist. This will result in a moist loaf.
To get started, add the lukewarm water to the bowl of a stand mixer. (Of course, you can hand mix the dough, it will just take a bit longer.)
Add the starter (fed/active), oil, salt, and 3 cups of the flour. Start the mixer.
Add additional flour in 1/4 cup increments just until the dough releases cleanly from the side of the stand mixer bowl.
Knead for 6-8 minutes, or until it is stretchy and smooth.
Shape the dough and add to a greased loaf pan. Cover with plastic wrap or a wet dish cloth. If using a wet dish cloth, periodically check if it needs to be dampened again. You don’t want the dough to dry out.
Place in a warm place to rise all day. This can take anywhere from 4-8 hours depending on the temp of your home and how mature your starter is.
Once the dough tops over the pan, preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
Bake the loaf for 40 minutes. Allow to cool completely before slicing.
You can brush the top with an egg wash and sprinkle with seeds or oats prior to baking for an artisan feel.
You can certainly add honey to the recipe if you wish. Add 1/4 cup. You will need to add a bit more flour if you use honey.
I hope you will give this recipe a try!
See you soon!
Same Day Sourdough Sandwich Bread
- 1 Stand Mixer optional
- 1 Loaf Pan
- 1 cup lukewarm water
- 1 cup active/fed sourdough starter
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 3-4 cups flour (I use freshly milled hard white wheat) can use store bought whole wheat or unbleached all purpose
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, add water, sourdough starter, olive oil, salt and 3 cups of the flour.
- Start mixer, add remaining flour 1/4 cup a time until the dough releases from the mixing bowl.
- Knead 6-8 minutes.
- Shape dough and place in greased loaf pan, covered.
- Place in a warm place to rise for 4-8 hours depending on the temperature of your home.
- Once the dough tops over the pan, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Bake for 40 minutes.