We love granola bars, but, the ones from the store have way too many ingredients. When you make your own, you control the ingredients and can make them any flavor you wish! These Chewy Peanut Butter Granola Bars are just wonderful! They come together in a snap and taste amazing!
**this post may contain affiliate links meaning I may receive a small commission on sales at no cost to you**Jump to Recipe
One of my favorite things for a snack has always been some sort of snack bar. Sweet, salty, chewy! All the good things.
When I started cooking from scratch, there were several things I wasn’t sure about and granola bars were one of them. I knew I wanted them chewy, but, I didn’t want too much fat or sugar. These fit the bill and are so delicious, you’ll forget they’re so good for you!
I like to add peanut butter for the protein, but, the flavor it adds is also a huge plus.
The great thing about making homemade granola bars is that you have full control over the ingredients. If you don’t want peanut butter, you can substitute with almond butter or just add honey!
You can also make these gluten free if you wish. Just use gluten free flour in place of the whole grain flour and use gluten free oats. *NOTE: If using coconut flour decrease by half*
You can also use a butter alternative or coconut oil instead of butter and a tablespoon of ground flax with 3 tablespoons of water in place of the egg if you prefer a vegan version.
These bars are incredibly filling and are a perfect on the go breakfast for your busy mornings. Add a banana on the side and you have a wonderful meal to start your day!
To make these bars you will need:
- Baking soda
- Peanut butter
- Honey or Maple Syrup
- 1 large egg
To start, preheat your oven to 325 degrees F.
In a mixing bowl add the dry ingredients except for the sugar and mix well.
In a separate bowl, add the wet ingredients with the sugar and mix well.
Pour the wet ingredients over the dry and mix until well combined. It will take a few minutes but keep on mixing and it will come together.
Press the mixture into a 7.5 X 5 parchment lined glass baking dish. (I use a 6 cup Anchor Hocking baking dish like this one): https://amzn.to/3H21t50
Make sure to press firmly and evenly.
Bake for 20 minutes.
Allow to cool before slicing.
Chewy Peanut Butter Granola Bars
- 2 mixing bowls
- 1 6 cup glass baking dish 7.5 X 5
- 2 ¼ cups oats
- ½ cup whole grain flour (I use freshly millled hard white wheat) may substitute with gluten free flour
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 2 ½ tbsp sugar (I use Sucanat)
- ½ tsp Vanilla
- ¼ cup creamy peanut butter may heat slightly to make more like a liquid
- ⅓ cup softened butter or coconut oil
- ¼ cup honey or maple syrup
- 1 large egg
- Preheat oven to 325° F
- Mix dry ingredients in large mixing bowl except for the sugar
- Mix wet ingredients in separate bowl with the sugar
- Combine wet and dry ingredients. Mix until very well combined.
- Press into a 6 cup glass baking dish (7.5 X 5) lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 20 minutes
- Allow to cool completely before slicing
- Store in airtight container in fridge for up to a week