We love cinnamon rolls and I find myself making them quite often, however, recently I decided to try orange rolls. Let me tell you, these were a huge hit! We devoured them and I plan on making them quite often!
Sometimes I feel like we need something sweet after dinner. It doesn’t happen every day or even every week, but it’s a craving we have occasionally. When we have these cravings, it’s important to me to be able to make a wholesome, healthy, yet very delicious treat.
My husband and I love oranges and will often have one in the late evenings as a snack, so, the idea of orange sweet rolls was the perfect fit for us!
I don’t like fussy foods or spending hours preparing delicious food. I prefer to have a few easy recipes that I can transform into something else.
For these rolls, I used a basic bread recipe instead of a special recipe for the rolls.
This makes it super simple to whip up special dishes without taking so much time coming up with a recipe.
As you may know, I mill all of my own wheat for our bread products. I enjoy the process and know that it is the most healthy bread we can eat!
To make this recipe you will need:
- Freshly milled hard white wheat flour
- Instant Yeast
- Olive oil
- 1 Orange
- Vanilla Extract
- Raw Cane Sugar
- Cream Cheese
- Maple Syrup
To start, we need to make the basic bread portion of the recipe. Add the warm water to the mixing bowl of a stand mixer. Pour in the honey, oil, and salt. Add 3 cups of the flour and mix until combined. Add the yeast and turn the mixer back on. I use speed 2. Add the remaining flour and allow to knead for 10 minutes or until the dough is one cohesive ball.
Allow to rise in a warm place, covered, for 1-2 hours or until doubled.
Lightly flour your work surface and turn your dough onto it. Roll out the dough into a large rectangle 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick.
Spread the dough with softened butter, enough to cover the entire rectangle.
Sprinkle 3 tablespoons of raw cane sugar evenly over the butter. Grate the zest of one orange and sprinkle evenly over the sugar and butter.
Roll up the dough from the long side. Pinch the ends closed.
Cut the dough into rounds with a dough scraper. Cut them as thin or as thick as you prefer. I cut mine about 3 inches size.
Prepare a baking sheet and put the rolls on the baking sheet. Cover with plastic wrap and preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Place the rolls in the preheated oven and bake for 30 minutes.
While the rolls are baking, place 1 package of softened cream cheese, the maple syrup, the orange juice, and the vanilla to a large mixing bowl. Using an immersion blender, blend until smooth.
Allow the rolls to cool and ice them with the cream cheese icing.
Freshly Milled Orange Sweet Rolls
- 1 Stand Mixer
- 1 Large mixing bowl
- 1 Immersion Blender
- 1 1/4 cup warm water
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp instant yeast
- 4 to 4 1/2 cups freshly milled hard white wheat
- 3-4 tbsp softened butter
- 1 orange (zest and juice)
- 2-3 tbsp raw cane sugar
- 1 package softened cream cheese
- 1 tsp vanilla
- juice of 1 orange
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- To the bowl of a stand mixer, add the water, salt, honey, and olive oil. Mix well.
- Add 3 cups of the flour, mix, and add the instant yeast.
- Add remaining flour until the dough pulls from the sides of the mixing bowl.
- Knead for 10 minutes.
- Place in a greased bowl, cover, and allow to rise for 1-2 hours until doubled in size.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough into a rectangle shape about 1/4-1/2 inch thick.
- Spread with butter, sprinkle with the sugar and then the zest.
- Roll up from the long side and pinch the seams.
- Cut the roll into rolls about 3 inches in size with a dough scraper or sharp knife.
- Place on prepared baking sheet, cover, and preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- To make the icing, combine the softened cream cheese, maple syrup, vanilla, and the juice of 1 orange. Mix with an immersion blender until smooth.
- Allow rolls to cool and ice them with the cream cheese icing.