I have a continuous supply of milk kefir in my kitchen. A few days ago, I had a thought about baking with kefir. Milk kefir is similar to buttermilk and would add a wonderful texture and flavor to baked goods. I decided to try milk kefir dinner rolls and they turned out amazing! So delicious, soft, and fluffy!
In all honesty, I don’t know why I don’t make dinner rolls more often. They are easy to make and are so delicious!
I prefer a lofty, soft dinner roll that isn’t too sweet. This roll recipe fits that bill to a T.
Milk kefir is a fermented milk drink that is a little fizzy and is quite tangy. We make smoothies every day with it and love to have it with frozen fruit and honey.
It is also a gut healthy drink that is super healthy for the digestive system.
I’ve been using milk kefir in different recipes for a while now, like muffins and biscuits, but never tried a dinner roll until now.
My husband said these were his favorite dinner rolls I’d ever made and I have to agree.
They are soft, fluffy, and melt in your mouth delicious!
For this recipe you will need:
- Milk kefir (buttermilk will work well also)
- Instant yeast
- Olive oil (may also use any oil of your choice)
I use freshly milled hard white wheat for these rolls, however, you can use any flour you want. Just make note that you need to add the flour slowly until a soft dough forms.
In the bowl of a stand mixer, add 1 cup of warmed milk kefir. You do not need to get it hot, just lukewarm.
Add the oil, honey, egg, and salt. Mix well.
Add 2 cups of flour and mix until combined.
Sprinkle the yeast on top and add remaining flour 1/2 cup at a time until a soft dough forms.
Knead for 10 minutes.
Note: The dough may be a little sticky but with kneading and developing the gluten it will come together. Do not add enough flour to make a dough that is not sticky before kneading.
After kneading, place dough in a greased bowl and cover with plastic wrap or a damp tea towel.
Allow to rise until doubled in a warm place.
Punch down the dough. Divide into 8 equal portions and roll into balls.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Place rolls on a greased sheet pan and sit on top of the oven while it is preheating.
Bake for 15 minutes.
Place on a cooling rack to cool completely before storing in a plastic bag on the counter for up to a week. These also freeze very well.
- 3 cups Flour
- 2 1/2 tsp Instant Yeast
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk kefir (lukewarm)
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 tbsp honey
- In the bowl of a stand mixer add the warmed milk kefir, honey, oil, salt, and egg. Mix well.
- Add 2 cups of flour and mix until combined.
- Add the yeast.
- Add remaining flour 1/2 cup at a time until a soft dough forms.
- Knead for 10 minutes.
- Place in greased mixing bowl and cover.
- Allow to rise until doubled, about an hour to 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Punch down dough and divide into 8 equal portions.
- Roll out into roll shapes and drag bottom on the counter to give it tension.
- Place on a greased baking dish.
- Sit on top of oven as it preheats covered with a damp towel.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Place on cooling rack to cool.
I used freshly milled hard white wheat.
Nutrition InformationYield 8 Serving Size 1 roll
Amount Per Serving Calories 245Total Fat 5gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 4gCholesterol 25mgSodium 360mgCarbohydrates 42gFiber 2gSugar 6gProtein 8g